Saturday, July 21, 2007

Long Week/Great Week (July 21)

i honestly don't remember the last time i have been so tired.

i have been at the theatre every day this week starting at about 1:30pm for rehearsals ranging from 2 1/2 - 4 hours each day with note sessions added onto that. on top of that, we had understudy rehearsal on both Thursday (as Tommy) and Friday (as Bob) with extensive notes with Tripp, West and Daisy - and to top it off, the adrenaline was at its top peak going on as Bob this Tuesday and Friday.

let's first talk about going on as Bob: it was awesome. no...it was AWESOME. i don't know where the "switch" happened as i have only gone on twice before in this role, but i felt so comfortable with the character. Tuesday was a little more nerve-wracking than Tuesday simply because i hadn't done the part in front of an audience for almost three months and i also had 25 people in the audience - but it was still such a thrill performing at the Ahmanson in that enormous space in such an amazing role. it was great having Dad, Karen, Mom and Jeff there as well as a bunch of other family and friends and it was only slightly ridiculous having to give 17 people a tour backstage after the show as well as play babysitter to mom who tried to get "handsy" with the props.

Friday night was seamless. i have never felt more comfortable and more at ease and i felt like i was able to bring a lot of myself to the role. the ensemble as well as the other 3 Seasons were SO supportive and other than a few line flubs (instead of "can we talk about the songs please", it sounded more like "can we talk about the slongs peas"), it was a great show. the audience was real vocal too - which i love - and i had a lot of history out there: my best friend from Junior High, Dusty, was there with his family. the last time he saw me perform was in 8th grade when we did Grease together. also had an old friend from day camp there and she hadn't seen me perform since sophomore year of high school. lastly, one of my oldest friends, Jessica Elbaum, who i have known since i was 8 years old was there as well. i even had some "industry" people in the audience so i guess we'll see what happens there...

...not sure what to do with that. being one of the few actors in this company without an agent or manager, it's all so foreign to me. i kind of just want a meeting in LA so i can say "i can't do lunch today, i have a meeting".

so that's the play by play as Bob. this weekend finishes up with two shows today and tomorrow (that's about the equivalent of doing 12 shows this week with all my rehearsals). It's crazy to me that we are almost into August and we will be leaving LA in about 5 weeks. no one is happy about that because we are having so much fun here...and our schedule in Sacramento looks to be pretty brutal. so i guess we'll just have to make the most of our time here because soon it's not going to be these cushy sit-downs - it's going to be 3-4 weeks in every city literally living our of our suitcases and trunks.

anyway - that's it for now. thanks to all of you who sent emails wishing me luck as Bob or sending me nice messages after seeing me. it was a lot of fun.

until next time...


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay son of mine. Let me set the record straight. I did not...let me repeat...I DID NOT touch any of the props backstage! Whoever was behind me is the culprit. So Gutty, don't make me look bad. The only thing I did which may have embarrassed you is when I did my Ethel Merman on stage after the show. So, do I get a public apology on your next blog, or what? Love, Mama xxooxx

July 21, 2007 9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a fan that watched your work in San Francisco twice, and I have to say I'm glad you're getting some exposure (not sure how much understudy work you did up here). You made a strong impression on me in all the parts you played. You can sing, you can act, you have great comic timing, and you have an interesting face (in an attractive way). I hope you get some more opportunities out of this, because you made the show a better experience. I loved all the players, not just the leads, I think you guys have a special cast.

July 22, 2007 12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your mom is so sweet :P

Congratulations on the Bob performances!!!

You really work hard and deserve a big break and recognition.

a fan

July 22, 2007 1:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eric.........am so darn proud of you and being one of your biggest fans as well as your Aunt, I just know that as far as you have come with your career, things can only get better for you. Congrats on the 2-Four Season's parts you understudy and the new part.........can't wait to see you preform in Ohio. Remember that some of the talent you have was born of the talent both your Mom and Dad have.........by the way, after your Mom sang her Ethel Merman song, did any of the producers want to hire her??? Love to you and Sarah.....and Toby.
Continued sucess in this play and in life.........I love you.
Love...Aunt Sha

July 22, 2007 11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric,
You have been blessed with being in a great show along with a mother and and aunt who make such loving and funny comments on this blog!
Wishing you even greater sucess (and rest),
Anonymous

July 22, 2007 3:42 PM  
Blogger Crissy said...

Eric, this is Chris's friend from Hawai'i. You were FABULOUS as Gaudio. Had we not been familiar with the history of the tour, we wouldn't have been able to tell that you're not the regular Bob. Great job!

July 23, 2007 1:25 AM  
Blogger Dustin said...

I did actually see you perform in Forbidden Hollywood down at Pepperdine since the glory days, but who's counting (me, I guess). And, was Peter Pan before or after Grease? The three of us were utterly ridiculous in those days, weren't we?

Man, I can't believe how impressed I was with your performance on Friday. And, I'm sure I don't have to tell you how much my family enjoyed the show. I had to make sure my grandmother didn't get "handsy" with Christopher!

So great to see you. See you soon!

Dusty

July 23, 2007 3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home