Monday, December 03, 2007

Where the Hell Are We? (Dec.3)

let's cut to the chase...

Orange County was a blast. i was fortunate enough to go on as Tommy for 3 shows through the run and we had an amazing time at our beautiful beach villa in Laguna Beach. it went way to quick and just as we are unpacked and comfortable, we have to pack up the damn car and head to our new destination...

...and here's what's being going on in the last two days:

we left Sunday morning for Seattle. Chris and Jenna Jones caravaned with us so we could drive safe and so i could help Chris drive because Jenna doesn't drive stick shift and i do and we all took shifts. me and Sarah in "Bruiser" (our Jeep Grand Cherokee) and Chris and Jenna in "Pepe" (his '92 Honda) trekking across 1200 miles.

the first day we got almost 11 hours and then had to stay the night in Weed, CA because the road conditions were getting real bad with sleek rain and snow and hurricane grade winds. so we pulled over and got some much deserved sleep in some random Quality Inn...

...why are they called "Quality Inn's" and "Best" Westerns? I really don't see the "best" or "quality" in any of them. and seriously, what is with the continental breakfast in the morning? why do they feel that dry cereal, Lender's bagels and hard boiled eggs sitting in some plastic bin for hours on end qualifies as a "continental" breakfast? at least Holiday Inn Express' have those cinnamon buns.

today (Monday) we left Weed, CA around 9am and started our 518 mile remainder of our trip toward Seattle. the drive was beautiful for the most part; very clear skies with an amazing view of the mountains and some random waterfalls here and there. sure, we hit some rain but nothing we couldn't handle. the traffic was relatively clear and we were making some great mileage...

and then we hit Portland.

heavy rain, slow traffic. but success - we get through it!

and then 95 miles before our destination, we get to exit 68 on I-5 and sure enough, it is blocked off by local police and road work. we drive for over 30 minutes trying to find a detour and by now, the rain is horrible and it is getting colder. we jump online and our worst fears our realized: I-5 North to Seattle as well as all other local routes around it are closed due to the torrential rain, mud slides and flooding.

our trip to Seattle has now become a day in history as today's flooding is the worst in history. literally bridges over I-5 are flooding over by almost 10 feet. and now a good handful of us in the cast are stuck in Longview, WA until...well...who knows.

the Washington state authorities are saying that all roadways to Seattle are most likely closed for the next 24-36 hours and that's interesting because with me stuck in Longview is our assistant hair supervisor, one of our swings (Erik Bates), our Bob Crewe (John Altieri) and our very own Frankie Valli (Chris Jones). and we have to be at the theatre this Wednesday for orientation and to run Act 1 before our first show in Seattle that very night!

so keep reading loyal blog readers...because as things progress (or regress) i will post as much info as possible. most of all though, think good thoughts for us because all we want to do is now drive the short 100+ miles to our destination and stop eating crap fast food and sleeping in uncomfortable hotels.

lastly, i promise for a posting within the week as there is some CRAZY changes getting ready to go into effect. Broadway World boarders - please feel free to have a field day with that.

until next time...stay safe and keep your eyes on the road.

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ubiquitous, isn't it? The boys from the Garden State end up in Weed. No wonder the breakfast sux.

(Caught you as Tommy in CM - xlnt job! Very strong onstage presence).

December 03, 2007 11:44 PM  
Blogger stubbleyou said...

Can I have a rewrite please? Better line:

The boys from the Garden State end up in Weed. It's a met-a-phor.

December 04, 2007 12:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Eric, hope you and the rest of your traveling band aren't stranded for long and are able to make it to Seattle before your deadline.

December 04, 2007 1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope all you get to Seattle safe and on time!

After seeing the show 3 times in San Diego, we drove up to Costa Mesa to see it again and had the pleasure of seeing you as Tommy! You were wonderful! In fact, when we sawa it in Costa Mesa, you and Erik were on - so I now affectionately call that performance the Eric, Erich, Erik and Chris show!

December 04, 2007 6:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

December 04, 2007 6:50 AM  
Blogger June Yee said...

Hey Eric,

I hope all of you get to Seattle safely!!

December 04, 2007 8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Eric, hope you make it to the theatre on time! More importantly, hope you can find some decent bagels once you get there...BOILED not BAKED...and no "rolls with holes"! All my love to you and Sarah and I'll see you in a few weeks.

-Andrea Kim

December 04, 2007 3:50 PM  
Blogger stubbleyou said...

A girl named Kim knows from bagels? Who knew??!!

You know, JB was originally a story about some Jewish kids. You don't believe me? It could happen. It did happen. Where else would we get songs like...

-Walk Like A Mensch
-Big Girls Don't Kvetch
-My Mother's Guilt,...and my favorite,
-Oy! What A Night

You still don't believe me? Let's listen in on Mary and Frankie's first date, at the deli...

Frankie: Vally. V-a-l-l-y.
Mary: No, "i." You gotta end it in a vowel. "Y" is a meshuggeneh letter.
F: Why do I have to end it in a vowel?
M: Look, kid, you're Jewish. DelgaDO. CastelluciO. MatzAH.
"I" says, "This is who I am. You don't like it, geh kocken affen yam."

[Hey, maybe I'm onto something! Marshall, Marshall, Marshall!! Get Mel Brooks on the phone!!]

...and Happy Hanukah, to all my Jewish and non-Jewish friends alike. Did you know the "r" in Jersey Boys was originally a "w?"

December 04, 2007 6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you guys make it to Seattle in one piece!

You better keep your word about posting on the "crazy" changes...the speculations keep getting more and more out of hand as time passes.

December 04, 2007 9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"stubbleyou", I know about a lot more than bagels! My last hubby was a Jewish guy and I walked the walk for nearly 10 years. I still have the mezuzah on my door to prove it!

-Andrea Kim

December 05, 2007 12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully, you and Sarah and other members of the show have arrived safe and sound in Seattle by now. Will be awaiting your next blog for details....
Is "stubbleyou" a stand-up comedian? If not, he should be.........such a funny post....almost believable!!!
Love you guys.....
Aunt Sha

December 05, 2007 9:00 AM  
Blogger Dylan said...

Changes?? Are you guys going glam like the Vegas cast? Hmm... Well, get there safely! Do you guys always run Act 1 before opening?

December 05, 2007 9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought y'all were in a musical not a soap opera: Will the Gutmans and Jones' get better food? What changes are being made to touring show? Will the missing persons of the company ever reach their destination in Seattle? *gasps* Will it be in time for their first show? Find out on the next episode of the Young & the Restless... well, the Jones and the Restless- nevermind.

December 05, 2007 11:36 AM  
Blogger stubbleyou said...

"I still have the mezuzah on my door to prove it!"

So, Andrea, I take it you got the house. Reminds me of what Zsa Zsa once said. "I'm a good housekeeper. Every time I get divorced, I keep the house." My mother warned me about women who start their sentences with "My last hubby..."

December 05, 2007 6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, stubbleyou...as he and I parted ways, I took the house and he took...well, let's just say it's a word that starts with "girl" and ends with "friend". Oops! I guess that sort of gives it away, doesn't it? Sorry, Eric! Didn't mean to start a conversation on your blog!

-Andrea

December 05, 2007 8:59 PM  
Blogger stubbleyou said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

December 06, 2007 8:36 AM  
Blogger stubbleyou said...

(That was an oops; sorry)

I too was at the Eric, Erich, Erik and Chris show. Ed, Edd, and Eddy don't hold a candle to 'em! Thanks for the kind words, Aunt Sha, but no, I'm not ready to quit my day job. But please - try the veal. And yes, of course, Andrea's right - some nerve she has, trying to hijack your blog. ;-)

Best of luck in Seattle.

December 06, 2007 8:38 AM  
Blogger stubbleyou said...

Click for lyrics to "Oy! What A Night." Don't blame me; blame Aunt Sha for encouraging me. ;-)

December 06, 2007 11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay.......sorry Eric.....you know I love you dearly, but have to encourage "Stubbleyou"......"Forbidden Broadway" would pay big money for your lyrics to "Oy, What a Night".....what is your day job, anyway........whatever it is you are wasting your talents, you must get into comedy or song writing or something creative!!!
Aunt Sha

December 07, 2007 10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

December 07, 2007 8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya think, Aunt Sha? I'm a babe in the woods - hook me up, mama! We'll make a deal over a handshake, though actually I'd prefer a milkshake.

Okay, I'm feeling very guilty using Eric's blogspace like this. Contact me thru my blog? Sorry and thanks, Eric. Hope all's going well in the PNW (that's what we west coasters call the Pacific Northwest).

December 07, 2007 9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home