Sunday, December 09, 2007

Walk...Like a Man (Dec.9)

Okay…this is going to be the blog to beat all blogs.

I want to start by telling a story about my experience with the show thus far:

I auditioned for this show while living in Michigan. I was working 40 hours per week at a ticket brokerage company in Southfield, MI. I was making good money as their concert and theatre manager but other than some random regional theatre in the Southeast Detroit area, I had just about given up on my future with a career in theatre.

I found out about the Jersey Boys audition after randomly searching the Equity website for open auditions in Chicago. I saw that Jersey Boys was having an open call and I pretty much scanned past it because the thought of going to an audition in Chicago to simply sing 24 bars and be told “thank you” wasn’t really worth my time…

…then I bought the cast album.

I kept that cast album in my car’s stereo for literally three weeks without taking it out. I fell in love with the arrangements and the harmonies and the songs helped tell the story that I never got to see on Broadway.

So I called Chicago’s equity office for an audition, booked a flight and called in sick to work.

My audition was great; I auditioned for Ron Melrose and the casting associate of the time, Dunja Vitolich. I sang a real good cut of “Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You” and after singing, Ron Melrose gave me some great direction and asked me to sing it again. From there, he said (and I’ll never forget this), “well Eric, there’s about nine different parts in this show for you, so why don’t you give us a second here so we can figure out what you are doing for your call back tomorrow.”

The next day, after working my ass off all night going over the sides and music they gave me, I auditioned again for Ron and Dunja and thought it went well…but that was that.

About three days later I get a call from the NY offices that they would like me to come to the final callbacks in NY in about two weeks. So…I booked another flight to NY, came up with another horrible lie to tell my boss so I could get out of a ticket conference in Vegas the same weekend of my callback, and off I went.

The callback was surreal. Other than the fact that the first three hours was a dance call (and I hadn’t done one of those for about three years) and when Erik Bates walked in I thought it was Christian Hoff, it was for the most part relatively relaxing…

…that was until I walked in to read, sing and play my guitar and behind the desk is Rick Elice and Marshall Brickman (the authors), Des, Ron, all of the show’s producers and the actual Frankie Valli and Bob Gaudio.

After changing my pants from the shock, I sang “Stand By Me” (thanks to Bobby Spencer who sang the same song for his callback) and was asked to do Hank’s “Heyyyyy” about twelve different ways.

And then I left.

But the signs the rest of that day were unreal:

  1. I met up with one of my good friends right after the audition and he works right near the Wintergarden Theatre. Right next to the Wintergarden is a horrible tourist hole called “Ellen’s Stardust Diner” where lots of school groups go to during the day and the waiters and waitresses perform Broadway show tunes in between taking your orders (no, seriously, get me my cheeseburger and fries and put that microphone down). As I walked up to wait for my buddy, one of the waiters breaks into “Can’t Take My Eyes…”. Weird.
  2. That night, I saw Sweeney Todd. As I am reading through the playbill before the show, I realize that the lead, Michael Cerveris was in Des McAnuff’s production of Tommy. After the show, since I am a huge stage door dork, I asked for his autograph and told him that he’s my good luck charm as I just auditioned for one of his past directors. He looked right at me and said, “well then, I guess you’ll be busy after you get the show.” Thank you Mr. Cerveris (you should have won the Tony that year by the way).

I flew back to Michigan thinking to myself, “well, the show starts rehearsals in about two months, so if I don’t hear in about 6 weeks, then it wasn’t meant to be.”

I got "the call" two days later.

Everything from there seems like a dream. From my blogs you all know that I packed up my house into storage, shoved as much as I could into our car, and Sarah, Toby and I have been on this adventure ever since.

One year and eight days to be exact since we started performances. #390 shows as of this Sunday night.

I have spent time in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Sacramento, Tempe, San Diego, Costa Mesa and now Seattle. I have driven countless thousands of miles across the west side of the Country…however…

After performance #390, this Sunday evening, December 9, I will be leaving the National Tour of Jersey Boys…

…and joining the Broadway company.

Holy shit.

This has all come very quickly; Colin Donnell (who plays “Hank” on Broadway) put in his notice just a few weeks ago and I got the official word less than a week ago. Since then, it has been all about negotiating what terms I need in order to get me and my family there safely, and of course, looking for housing has been a lot of fun (I think it’s all taken care of – cross your fingers).

But everything is slowly coming together and this experience on the road has really become something even more. I am going to miss my family here on the road so badly – so badly I really don’t want to blog about it – but to have the opportunity to perform on Broadway and literally live a dream that I have had since I was a child is unlike anything else in the world.

So that’s the big news. I want to share it with all of you because other than my family who reads this blog, I have gotten comments and email from all over the Country from fantastic people I have met at the stage door (or have yet to meet at the stage door). Your comments have really helped keep Sarah and I rooted during our travels and I thank all of you for your encouragement and support this whole year.

So what happens to the blog…? Well, I guess I can’t really call it “Tour This” anymore – so I’m open to suggestions. Now that I am going to be sitting in a city for more than 3 weeks at a time, honestly I don’t know how much I will update. But of course, as rehearsals finish up this week and I make my Broadway debut this Saturday matinee, December 15, I will of course bring you all in to the experience as well.

So that’s it. I feel like I have so much more information to share about my experiences on the road but I guess one day I will have to re-read my blog since the start and see what memories they conjure up.

In the meantime, I guess for now you will have to rely on other cast members of the Sherry company to keep you informed – which might be tough because I don’t think any of them have a blog. As far as my cast mate’s parents are concerned, I’m sorry I have to leave because I know you all find out information on your sons and daughters through my entries…I guess they will have to pick up a phone every once in awhile now to keep you in the loop.

Again, thanks to everyone for the support (especially all my parents and Sarah). Think good thoughts for us as we travel to NYC and get our lives set up there.

Until then…this is officially the last blog entry of “Tour This”. See you on Broadway.

30 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Eric! I've seen you perform in the show a number of times (SF, San Diego, LA and Costa Mesa- I've got family and friends around the state, am a big fan of the show and got them to see it as well). You bring a lot of charisma when you're on stage. Thanks for updating everyone about your experiences on tour and about what was happening with the Sherry tour itself. It'll be great to hear how things go on Broadway. Wish you the best of luck.

December 09, 2007 12:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right! This is definitely the blog of all blogs! It's sad to know that this chapter "Tour This" has closed but it's good to know that an even more exciting chapter is waiting to be written. Thank you so much for allowing us to join you on your "Jersey Boys" touring journey. Without your blog, my love for the musical wouldn't have last this long. The last time I saw you perform was in April in San Francisco and to this day I'm still bopping to the soundtrack. Huge congratulations on joining the Broadway cast! Maybe this isn't the end, maybe a few of your touring cast mates might eventually join you ;) Best wishes to you, Sarah and Toby!

December 09, 2007 1:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations - awesome!! I got hooked on JB only a couple weeks ago, but my enthusiasm and Google led me to your blog. I just started reading it - from the beginning - it tells a great tale. You MUST persuade one of your colleagues to pick up the slack. Again, congrats, and wow!

December 09, 2007 2:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You SO deserve this, Eric! I'll write a longer, more personal message to you later but until then, I just had to leave one last comment on your tour blog. It's been an amazing ride since you first opened in SF a year ago and it's truly been an honor for me to share some of that ride in four of the seven cities you've visited so far. I'm sad that I won't see you in Seattle on the 27th and 28th, but excited by the prospect of seeing you on Broadway when I finally make it to NYC. And when I do, two words..."backstage tour"...just sayin'. All the love in the world to you and Sarah. Till we meet again...

-Andrea Kim

December 09, 2007 2:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Eric on the transfer. You deserve it. You rocked the stage everytime as Mika and Hank, and the one time I saw you go on as Tommy. You were so great that us fans can only hope your replacement is half as good as you are. Break a leg on your Broadway debut.

And before you leave, convince someone else on tour to start blogging. And make Bergen update before he leaves.

December 09, 2007 2:44 AM  
Blogger stubbleyou said...

May I send you off with one more song parody? Here's "My Moyle Effed Up", to the tune of "My Boyfriend's Back."

December 09, 2007 3:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric, you were incredibly warm and gracious when we met in LA. Indeed, I had gotten to know Colin Donnell quite well, having done a Jersey Boys Blog feature on him, and was disappointed when he gave notice, but your replacing him couldn't be better news. See you next week, I hope.

December 09, 2007 5:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Eric! What a wonderful turn of events for you! I know you will kick butt in the Broadway cast.

December 09, 2007 10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Eric!!! You are such a wonderful performer, and I'm so excited for you to make your Broadway debut. Best of luck to you, and keep all of us updated! =)

Ariana

December 09, 2007 10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I said to you earleir, congratulations on a well deserved move. You will be sorely missed by the cast. Do not hesitate to call if we can be of any help in NYC. You've been a great friend to Erich and for that I say thanks.

December 09, 2007 10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Eric! I caught a few of your performances in Tempe and have been following your blog since then. All the best-

rachel

December 09, 2007 12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric- I am so excited and yet experiencing a little of that (Jewish?) guilt about all the people in the Tour audiences who will not be able to see you do your thing onstage. Their loss is our gain and I couldn't be more grateful. Although cold weather is not my thing, I'll be getting SRO tickets faster than you can say 'Thanks for the Memories' to 'Tour This'. Audrey

December 09, 2007 12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Eric - I just finished reading your latest blog & I hope not the last - I was in tears all the way through it - I was waiting for you to get to Cleveland to see you but as you told me in our phone conversation the other night "New York is a more fun place" I want to congratulate you again on this wonderful opportunity & hope to get to see you in the Broadway cast - but PLEASE try to blog occasionally as we get to know what is going on with you, Sarah & Toby
Love you both
Bubi

December 09, 2007 4:19 PM  
Blogger Dylan said...

AWESOME!!! That is so exciting! I thought for sure towards the end of this you were announcing your last performance date or something... HOLY CRAP! Congratulations times a million! You're living so many people's dreams now!

December 09, 2007 4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should call your new blog "Suddenly Broadway"

I too keep up on all the posts>

December 09, 2007 4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOWIE-ZOWIE . . . a big CONGRATULATIONS to you, my dear nephew! I'm thrilled for your successes & I'm so very happy that you are truly living your dream. WOW . . . Broadway . . . how cool is that?!!! Can hardly wait to hear about your life in NY. Hugs to you, Sarah, & Toby.
Aunt Loonie

December 09, 2007 4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Eric (and Sarah)!
We rejoice with you over your impending debut on the Great White Way! We will miss your stories, especially since our inside source (Jenna) will be following you to NYC shortly. Maybe you should leave Sarah behind to comfort Chris? Anyway, our warmest, heartfelt congratulations and best wishes for a long and brilliant B'Way run. Thank you for being such a gentleman and seeing the best in people and for being such a good friend and roomie for Chris.
With love,
Doc & Mama Jones

December 09, 2007 4:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats! This is great news. Have a great time getting to NYC and we wish you the best. - Steve & Christy (www.jerseyboyspodcast.com)

December 09, 2007 7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric, congratulations! When I saw the announcement on the Jersey Boys Blog, I had to come over here and get the whole story. I've seen the Sherry cast over a dozen times in LA and Costa Mesa and have become attached to the people in it. I could not be happier for you. I look forward to seeing you on the August Wilson stage when I visit NY in February. I'll catch you at the stage door.

December 09, 2007 9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric! Congratulations!!! I cannot believe you are headed off to NYC, I could not be happier for you. It was such a pleasure getting to see you perform so many times, I know fans of the tour will never forget you. Thank you for so many great memories in California; I wish you continued success in your next adventure! ALL THE BEST to you, Sarah, and Toby!!

December 09, 2007 10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG....I have been dying for you to announce this and big congrats on your move to Broadway........all the best to you and Sarah and your new exciting and stable life in New York.........you must continue to blog....we want all the scoops on the Broadway cast, and of course you life in the big city.........you have way too many fans, friends and family that love reading your blogs.
All my love.......Aunt Sha

December 10, 2007 2:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Everybody here said it best! YOU SO DESERVE THIS! Another reason to go to NYC--to cheer you on! I will keep on reading your blog no matter what you call it, I love reading about how life is treating you, Sarah and Toby. Keep on blogging. I will keep on reading.

December 10, 2007 4:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gutty, I am so excited that you have realized your life long dream...performing on Broadway!!! You have come so far in your career and you deserve this wonderful dream. Jeff and I will miss you in California - I guess we'll just have to go across country to see you again! Love and hugs always, Mama xxooxx

December 10, 2007 8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What can one say??
Some experiences in life are SO BIG that it's hard to find words for them.
You always inspire me with your talents, energy,and tenacity.
If they ever find a way to bottle your energy ... I'll take a case !!
I couldn't be happier for you and Sarah. We will miss seeing you here in California, but know you will knock em' dead on Broadway.
I'll continue to live vicariously through your successes and life experiences. I know the tour cast will Really miss you too!
I am wishing you safe travels, good audiences, and endless opportunities on Broadway. Keep blogging !
Much love to you, Sarah, and Toby.
Ffej

December 10, 2007 9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Eric! I found out about this on Saturday and couldn't be happier for you.

December 10, 2007 10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATS Eric! Wow, this news took me by total surprise. I'm so happy for you but I'll be honest, a bit sad. You were an excellent part of the Sherry cast, the B'way cast is lucky to have you. So now I have to see JB in NYC again just to see you on the August Wilson stage. WOW! Tons of well wishes to you, Sarah, and Toby for your new life in New York. How about: Gutman in the City. Therefore addressing all three of you. No matter what the new title of your blog is, please don't be a stranger. Congrats again!

December 10, 2007 12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news and congratulations, Eric~

I saw you perform as Tommy DeVito in Sacramento and wanted to meet you, but missed seeing you at the stage door. You did a great job in the role!

It's always nice to see people's hard work pay off and dreams come true.

Enjoy your Broadway experience to its fullest!

December 10, 2007 12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"everybody leaves, why does everybody leave??"...oh, well happy that you're movin' on up, but will miss your funny, witty, blogs.. go get 'em in the big apple!

December 10, 2007 1:12 PM  
Blogger stubbleyou said...

They say the neon lights are bright
On Gutman
They say "There's Hank Majewski over there!"
But if you want his autograph
Just walk right up to him and ask
He just might doff his monkey mask
On Broadway...

December 10, 2007 6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Eric - I wish I could be in the audience on your opening performance - but I'll be with you in spirit - KNOCK THEM DEAD -Let us know how the audience received Hank Majewski -
love you both,
Bubi

December 11, 2007 8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home