Sunday, April 15, 2007

The Bat Phone Rang (April 15)

so here's the deal...i got "the call".

well not technically a call, but here's how things worked out yesterday:

i walked into the theatre around 1pm, like i always do before a matinee, and on the call board is a little note from our wardrobe supervisor saying "Eric, please see me". it's pretty typical, every once in awhile, little costume things come up and we need to fix them before the show.

i see her in the hallway and she asks me to try a jacket on. i put on this new jacket that i'm not familiar with, and turn to her and say "um...this is Tommy's jacket". she simply said, "go see stage management."

long story short: saturday evening, april 14, i did my debut performance as Tommy DeVito.

the show was...well...it was surreal. in a way, i feel like the first 30 minutes didn't even happen. i mean, the show starts and i'm standing there thinking to myself "just get through the opening and 'Silhouettes' and it will get easier from there."

but the audience was great, very inviting...and after that first monologue, and i started to get comfortable with the pacing and got those first few laughs on "ubiquitous", i felt almost like the audience was already with me...ready to take this "journey" with me.

and it was quite a journey. here are the highlights:

* the first scene with Frankie, i offer him the keys to the Bellevedere. it would have made a lot more sense if i actually would have pulled out the keys, however, they were still on the prop shelf because i forgot to grab them before the show. so when i tell Frankie his cut would be "hundred-fifty, maybe two", i held out my hand so Frankie might grab it and shake it as if it's a "deal". instead, Chris Jones simply looked at me and said "I'm in", and ran off stage.

* after Gaudio is introduced, Frankie and Tommy have an altercation downstage where Frankie says if Tommy doesn't give Bob a chance, he can find a new lead singer. Then, Tommy backhands Frankie, but Frankie catches it just in time and it makes fr a very dramatic pause in the show. Well, I went to backhand him, but pulled back because i thought i was a little too close to his face, and pretty much just rested the back of my hand in his. so essentially, it was one of the worst stage combat scenes in the history of theatre.

* the scene where Tommy tells Frankie he is going to help him get his car back from Donnie and Stosh after they scam him with the fake murder, the correct lines should go:

T: I'm your friend. Now go home, I'll take care of Donnie.
F: What are you going to do, call Gyp?
T: Are you nuts, you don't bother Gyp DeCarlo with two-bit bullshit. I said I'll get your car back. Now go home, make your wife happy.
F: Thanks Tommy, I owe you.

here's what was said:

T: I'm your friend. Now go home, I'll take care of Donnie.
F: What are you going to do, call Gyp?
T: Are you nuts, you don't bother Gyp DeCarlo with two-bit bullshit. I said I'll take care of Donnie...and make your wife happy.
F: Thanks Tommy...? I owe you...?

so i think with those small changes, i pretty much told Frankie i was going to take care of Donnie again, and then have sex with his wife. haha.

other than those major things, yes, there were small little flubs here and there and i did mess up one dance move in "Sherry" (damn those twists back and forth), but all in all, it was freaking amazing.

best highlights of the night:

* without a doubt, riding the mic lift up as we sing "Ragdoll" was absolutely incredible. Michael Ingersoll (our Nick Massi) told me right before we rode up to slowly pan my head up as the lift goes, because since we are back-lit, we can see the entire audience and their reaction. he was right, it was something i will never forget.

* the enormous wave of applause after "Walk Like a Man".

* the great laugh i got after introducing Joe Pesci.

* after our Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS speech, Erich Bergen was nice enough to tell the entire audience that they were at a very special performance due to the fact that the night marked my debut performance in the role. and the audience was wonderful...and they gave me another huge round of applause...

...and the best part about it was both my mom and Sarah were there to see it.

to close out today's blog, a HUGE thank you to the cast and crew for being so supportive of that night. i could not have done it without any of you having the faith in me that you did, and i appreciate everything you did to help.

that's it for now. big Broadway Cares benefit tomorrow.

...
and 15 days until the wedding day!

11 Comments:

Blogger Crissy said...

That's awesome, Eric! Congratulations! Sounds like you had a lot of fun, despite the glitches (which also sound like a hoot, esp. when you told Chris you'd take care of Frankie's wife).

April 16, 2007 1:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eric - Sandy just called to tell me to read your blog - what a wonderful experience - your mom & Sarah must have been so excited - we're all set for the wedding & can't wait to meet your mother & see you & Sarah - 2 weeks to go
Love you both
Bubi

April 16, 2007 7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric,
As I was reading your blog I got the chills just thinking about how you felt when you went on as Tommy. I have seen the show in NYC four times and I have seen Matthew Scott go on as Tommy Devito and he was so grateful too! I hope I get to see you one day in Jersey Boys...maybe you will come to a city near me.

April 16, 2007 2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was lucky enough to be there that night and you were fantastic Eric. The only flub I did notice was when you didn't have the keys but you played that off well I'm sure first timers didn't notice.

April 16, 2007 2:33 PM  
Blogger the flower said...

Congratulations, Eric! I'm sure you were great.

April 16, 2007 2:51 PM  
Blogger Lunasea said...

Congratulations Eric! Sounds like a fantastic experience - thanks for sharing it with us!

April 16, 2007 2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...Um, I just cried when I read this blog. Between this and two weeks from the big day, I am all choked up. I sure miss you guys! Congrats and see you VERY soon! LB

April 16, 2007 8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric... I am deeply indebted to you for sharing your little flubs; I laughed so hard reading this, I almost cried. Thanks for including all the ups and downs. What an image and an experience you described on the mic lift for Rag Doll. How I would have loved to have been there for this special evening. All the best-

April 16, 2007 10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds so awesome! I was wondering if you would ever get to go on for Tommy. I wish I could have been there! I need to come back to see the show... and soon... I can't believe you guys will be leaving in a few weeks!

April 17, 2007 6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gutty...there are no words to express how I felt as I watched you play Tommy DeVito Saturday night. You were spectacular! It was a very special night for me and Jeff. You are a marvelous actor, singer, musician, and yes...even dancer. You got the moves! I am very proud of your dedication to entertain people. I love you very much. Love, Mama xxooxx

April 17, 2007 8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric,
I love your Mother's comment (above mine). As anyone can see, she is so proud of you. I am glad she was able to see you go on as Tommy.

April 18, 2007 3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home