Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Hello From NY (Dec.12)

okay, okay...

i guess people still want me to blog...so here i am...my first full day in NYC...and i'm blogging. a big thank you to Taylor Sternberg who came up with the new blog name (though Ron Melrose suggested "New Man in Town" and i liked that too). make sure you check out his new tour blog, Tour THAT, for all the goings on of the Sherry cast.

let's catch you up on the last 24 or so hours.

Sunday night i finished my final show (show #390) on the road with the first National Tour. i miss my friends on the road tremendously. i have been thinking of them nonstop today. i wish they could all be having this experience with me and i can't thank them enough for their texts throughout the day just saying hello (Bates, the text you sent me was awesome). my final performance was a good one; good audience and everyone just enjoying each other on stage as we all knew it was the last time i was going to be up there with them. because i know there are creative staff reading this, i will tell you that there were absolutely no hi-jinks going on onstage during the show...but for any of you who know me and have worked with me in past shows, you know that's a load of bullshit. the highlight of the night for me was getting to play the guitar solo in the band playoff at the end of the show and seeing the entire case in the wings cheering me on.

we'll leave it at that.

but thank you once again to the Sherry company for making this last year on the road one of the most memorable of my life. thank you for opening your hearts to Sarah and i and for being an amazing family. i will never lose touch with any of you and wherever i may end up down the road or you may end up down the road, you will always have a friend in me.

as soon as the show was over, we got into the car, headed home to load the suitcases into the back and got to the Seattle airport about 75 minutes before the flight.

5 hours later, i landed safely at JFK.

the rest is kind of a blur. i only got about 2 or so hours of sleep on the plane and by the time i got to my sublet in Washington Heights and got in the shower, it was already about 2pm. after a very quick few hours in the city to see my buddy Val, i headed back up the The Heights to grab a few groceries, eat some wonderfully mediocre Chinese food and was dead asleep by about 10pm.

had to get some good sleep as today was a big day.

day started with me filling out an application on some long-term housing. the apartment is a cute little 550 square foot studio located at 57th and 10th (amazing location and so close to the theatre) that we found through a friend of a friend. we should know by the weekend if we are approved. that will be a load off. it's kind of hard getting into the mindset that i will possibly be living in such a small place with Sarah and Toby when i have a 3 bedroom house back home in Michigan, but i guess i just need to remember the city that i am now living in and what a steal we are going to get a studio in Hell's Kitchen for (just a phrase they call that area Bubi Goldie...it's actually safe and very cute).

then i was off to rehearsal...

i had about 4 hours of rehearsal today. the first 1 1/2 hours was to check spacing and staging with my new
production stage manager, Michelle. it's amazing to see the little differences in the Broadway company versus the road company. then about an hour with my new music director; let me just say this: only three songs are the same as i have sung on the road - all the rest are different harmonies and it turns out i double Frankie for a few songs...what???

the last hour or so was with Peter Gregus, the show's dance captain who also plays Bob Crewe. he was fantastic and super nice and very helpful with all the questions i had. turns out that on the road we actually dance a lot more than they do on Broadway so he had to pull me back quite a bit. but i am hopefully going to have another hour with him before Saturday because i need to get some things better in my head and body before i get on stage...

...speaking of which:

i went to the August Wilson Theatre today. and i just kept catching myself giggling like an idiot. going through the stage door: giggling. seeing my dressing room: giggling. walking the stage and seeing the empty house before the show: giggling and overwhelmed.

i will say this about the house: it's so small! i mean, i guess playing in these huge houses the past year has really made me realize just how intimate the theatre is. i can't wait to get up there with an audience.

i met most of the cast, band and stagehands tonight too. everyone was very inviting and welcoming. it was great to see my old friend Daniel Reichard again (he and i did Forbidden Broadway together 100 years ago) and Bobby Spencer was super nice. hell, everyone took the time to shake my hand and make sure i am getting along okay in NYC...and i really appreciated that...because God knows i am going to be a mess on Saturday.

tonight i was also able to sit in the house and watch the show. it's SOOOO surreal watching the show when all i have in my head are the performances i have grown to know and love on the road. it will definitely take some getting used to with the wonderful characters this cast has developed but i welcome it. i also have to say, pacing wise, i was exhausted. the Broadway show probably cuts 7 minutes off their show compared to ours and in theatre terms - that is HUGE! so buckle me in kids, because it's going to be quite a ride for awhile.

but all in all, there is a reason this cast (along with the book and lyrics, of course) lifted the show to win the Tony for Best Musical and i am beyond words and beyond honored to have been offered this opportunity.

so what's next this week...?

Wednesday - trail Colin backstage tomorrow matinee to start learning the track and the differences from what i am used to. the whole cast is also going to some dinner party thing after the matinee and i have been invited to go along, so that will be a nice bonding experience. Wednesday night i think i have a free ticket to see Little Mermaid so i think i am going to take advantage of that.

Thursday - rehearsal with Michelle and then a full run of the show with the other understudies to get me prepped for Friday's put in rehearsal with the whole cast. will either track Colin or watch the show again.

Friday - put in rehearsal.

Saturday matinee - the big debut!!!!

and that should keep you all up to date! i can pretty much guarantee i will have no time to blog again before my debut on Saturday, so everyone just send good thoughts my way this week into Saturday. i promise to blog sometime on Sunday to share the experience with you.

i want to close just by saying thank you to everyone who has emailed or commented from my last blog. the response was overwhelming and i can't tell you how much it meant to me that so many of you contacted me just to congratulate me. i guess i never quite realize how far this blog extends until i start getting emails from people across the Country and it meant a lot to know people are still reading my posts and are enjoying them.

until the next blog...on Broadway...

wow, i don't think i'll ever tire of that.

18 Comments:

Blogger June Yee said...

Hey Eric!

It's nice to hear from you again so quickly! I'm glad to hear things are going pretty well.

Take care, it must be freezing there right now, compared to the California weather you got so used to =]

December 11, 2007 10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for continuing the blog- I love the new title!

As a Los Angeles based Sherry Tour fan, I am so utterly thrilled that you get to go to Broadway, and I'm living vicariously through you!

I'll be sending good thoughts and karma your way on Saturday morning!

December 11, 2007 10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on making it to the Big White Way! I met you at the Ahmanson after the show one night, but I live here in NYC. Hope to catch you after the show one of these days. Best of luck to you.

December 11, 2007 10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric, like my friend Gary, I live in New York City (OK--Staten Island), but have only met you at the Ahmanson, where I also had the pleasure of meeting your lovely wife.

I've been at the August Wilson numerous times, but feel I'm still going to learn a lot from you over the next few months.

Being a disciple of Gerard Alessandrini of "Forbidden Broadway" is a guarantee of success. You're in great company!

Love your assurance to Bubi Goldie re Hell's Kitchen...a classic. All the best.

December 12, 2007 12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric, thanks for continuing to blog! As a fan of the show and your work on it, it's great hearing what it's like for you to make the transition to Broadway. It's also interesting to hear what's the same and what's different from the Sherry tour. I've only seen the show here in California. Good luck over there!

December 12, 2007 12:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Liking the new blog title.

December 12, 2007 1:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eric,
Thank goodness you blogged. Congrats to you. I am glad you didn't have to drive to the Big Apple!!!
I will miss the Sherry Blogs but thank goodness Taylor has picked them up.
I look forward to your new blogs and continued success. I have also seen the show in LA and Costa Mesa so I am definitely a Sherry Cast fan.
Thanks for your performances to make the Sherry cast a very special group and made us feel like a part of the family.

December 12, 2007 11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was hoping you would make your way to the Big Apple..now I'll have to see the show again!

:)

December 12, 2007 12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck Eric!!!!!!

December 12, 2007 3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you! Good luck this week.

December 12, 2007 4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like the phoenix, he rises! Thanks for coming back, Eric!

Love and hugs,

-Andrea Kim

December 12, 2007 5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for another blog so quickly, Eric! It's comforting that you're taking us w/ you on your journey. You made me cry, imagining your last show w/ the Sherry cast. I'm sure they're all so happy for you. I'll definitely be thinking of you on Saturday. Break a leg! Oh, and I love the new blog title.

December 12, 2007 6:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous follow-up to Tour This! I love love the new title, Majewski's Musings-la-la--love it!

You confirmed what I had observed with the road companies and the Broadway company, the road company does a lot more dancing!

Just give'em a lot and give them wanting more! Hope you, Sarah and Toby love living in NYC. Break a leg Eric!

December 12, 2007 7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you made it to NY safe and sound! As always, thanks for all the updates. Good luck with rehearsals, and have a fantastic debut! Break a leg!

By the way, I love the new title. =)

Ariana

December 12, 2007 8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Eric - Knowing you I was sure you would find an area that was "safe" or as safe as New York can be - I love your new blog & as I said in the old one the WHOLE FAMILY is rooting for you - keep up the good work & continue blogging
Love you both,
Bubi Goldie

December 12, 2007 9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How exciting for you! I was looking forward to seeing you with the tour in February, but now I'll have to wait until June!

Enjoy every second of your experience at the August Wilson!

December 13, 2007 5:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

break a leg tomorrow!! I hope sometime soon to see you with the b'way cast!

December 14, 2007 6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So happy you continued the blog, and I love the new name. I hope your debut went well. Do you still understudy the same roles you did on tour?

Keep warm!
Elle

December 15, 2007 8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home