Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Amazing, amazing, amazing...

So I saw the Broadway production of Jersey Boys tonight...more on that later.

To catch you all up, we are now on week two of rehearsal. In the past few days, we have gotten through page 49 for Act One blocking (78 pages in Act One). I have also learned how to play mandolin (for the pizza parlor scene - a big "thank you" to our tour guitarist, Brian, for showing me how), I have had my first costume fitting (11 costumes total for the show - not including accessories and wigs), and have been put into "Short Shorts" and "Ape" (play the right guitar chords as I hit the right dance steps and sing the right lyrics). And I also got my first paycheck and I'm still amazed I get paid for doing this!

It has been a whirlwind. The JB Factory continues to run. Des (director), Sergio (choreographer) and Ron (music director) and all their amazing assistants keep us all in line with little notes and hints and suggestions and it's wonderful to see everyone focused and willing to take risks with their choices. And it seems every day we meet more people that are going to be involved with the production (our bassist and guitarist showed up monday and will be here for the duration of the rehearsal process).

Yesterday, we blocked the scene where the Four Seasons sing together ("Cry For Me"). To see that simple scene come together and to hear our four leads sing together and interact was a really amazing. Erich Bergen (plays Bob Gaudio) led the number and as each one of the Seasons pulls to the piano, it really came together as a "group", you know? Sure, the blocking was a little rough and the harmonies not yet spot-on...but it was seeing them come together that really stirred something in me...

Now then...the Broadway show.

Let me put it this way. It never really hit me that I was in this huge tour...that I landed this great gig. It didn't really hit me when I first got to NYC. Not when I started the first day of rehearsal. Not when I learned my first vocal part. Not when I got my first paycheck. But sitting there, and watching them break into "Sherry" tonight on stage and hear the audience cheer...it hit me.

I loved the show. I laughed, I sang along, I cried...but more than anything it was the pride of being involved with this amazing piece of theatre that made me finally realize that I am now a part of this.

That should do it for now...I'm exhausted.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Congrats on getting this job and for blogging about it. Jersey Boys fans all over the world are really going to enjoy it.

Thanks!

Steve (www.jerseyboyspodcast.com)

November 01, 2006 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home