Monday, May 05, 2008

John Altieri (May 5)

as many of you already know by now, John Altieri, the gifted actor who originated Bob Crewe with the first National Tour of Jersey Boys, passed away yesterday.

i, as is many of the people that grew close to John over the past two years are devastated and trying to make sense of what and why has happened. he was so young and had such an amazing and healthy spirit that one would beg the question of why should he have suffered the way he did and why, after spending a month in a hospital, could they not find the way to help him.

in any case, his spirit, laughter and friendship will live on forever in those of us he had touched. i feel, more than most, that i was one of the lucky ones that got to know him so well. i played "Mika" to his "Crewe" for over 400 shows and we were very much inseparable in every scene we were in together. some of my most fondest memories was the shit we would pull on stage together (both of us constant troublemakers) and how much we would make each other laugh...even when we definitely were not supposed to.

one of my favorites:

at the end of "Dawn", Crewe and Mika end up on the stage left stairs facing upstage applauding the Four Seasons on their big ending. The lights are up so hot on the audience at that point and we are facing away from them that John would usually applaud and the momentum of them would smack me in the face and head. I would then applaud slightly broader and the momentum of my elbow would try to catch him in the groin. then when we turned downstage as the Mary and Lorraine characters greeted us, i would pull on his pant leg just enough to have his pants sneak down and he at the same time would pull my shirt from inside my jacket to have it untuck...and so on and so forth.

that was John. always in high spirits and always ready for a laugh.

he was also completely devoted to his pets, Goose (his cat) and Spyder (his Shepard-mix dog). he loved his animals so much that much of his housing was due to their comfort (like we did with Toby, John drove to every city so his pets did not have to fly). thinking about it now, i remember him once telling me that one of his biggest decision in taking the Vegas company was so Spyder could live out her short remaining years (she is, i believe, about 13) in a comfortable environment where they are not always driving to a new destination.

but my favorite thing about John was watching him work. he put so much thought and energy into his lines and knew exactly where each laugh should be. his "metaphor" line was always a show-stopper and i just wish that all of you could have seen him on stage...because he shined so much up there.

he shined upon all of us.

i thank God that i have known John. that for over a year, i got to see him and spend time with him every day. that he was able to come to my LA house and enjoy a fun BBQ. that he and i got to carpool almost every day while we were in Orange County. that he and i had to struggle like hell to get that fucking yellow couch on stage and afterward would both laugh about it. and for a year, it was my pleasure and honor to be his "personal assistant" on stage and i had never had larger shoes to fill when i was asked to understudy him...i only hope that the few times i went on in his part, that i did justice to what i learned from him.

as the days go on, we are hoping to get some more information on what we can do to help his family. one of his friends is hoping to get a scholarship for young actors in his name and as soon as i know what the details are, i will post them. my hope is that for all of us that John touched or made laugh, that we all might give a little to his memory.

i don't know what to say from here. i have nice things to blog about but that is for another time. the lump in my throat and the tears and my eyes are enough for now.

i love you, John. we thank God your suffering is over and you are finally at rest. none of us will ever forget you...

...and i will always have a glass of milk waiting for you.





15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the tribute to John Altieri. However, I think that the profanity was not necessary. John's friends and family are in all of our prayers!

May 05, 2008 4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also send my condolensces. Eric, you should know that doctors and hospitals can't do a lot sometimes for infectious diseases such as pneumonia. Antibiotics don't always work against bacterial pneumonia and don't help at all with viral pneumonia. Your body has to fight the infection itself. Sometimes the medical care used to support your life while your body is fighting the illness can make things worse and cause other infections. It's still in God's hands, and unfortunately doctors can't help as much as they'd like to. Take care of yourself, as we all should.

May 05, 2008 5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eric,

You and the whole JB's family have my condolences on the passing of John. I'm sorry that I never got to meet him or see him on stage, but I know he was fabulous through your words & those of others. Please relay our condolences to his family.

Always,
Stacey from Staten Island, NY

May 05, 2008 6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a truly beautiful entry. I think everyone that will read it will be touched by your words.

As a sidenote...this is YOUR blog...YOUR feelings and YOUR words...PLEASE continue to express yourself how ever you please. Your blog means a lot to people and many throughly enjoy reading what you have to say. I think to censor yourself would be an insult.

May 05, 2008 7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will always remember John and Miles Aubrey and their number at the AIDS fund raiser in S.F. It was so funny, and then their singing was so great. I believe that Eric Bergen has it posted on YOU TUBE. John was such a great person to talk to at the stage door, always very warm and funny.

May 05, 2008 10:33 PM  
Blogger jansluv said...

Eric - this is John's sister. Thank you for such a beautiful memorial. With your permission, I will share this with my parnets. John had so many amazing friends- I had the priviledge of meeting several over the last week of his illness. Their stories and heartfelt words gave tremendous comfort to my family during his final days. Thank you for adding to his memorial!

May 06, 2008 1:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your post about my cousin John. It means so much to all of his family to hear these words right now. John truly had a great community of people supporting him in LA and that brings us all comfort in this devastating and heartbreaking loss.
John was pure light and we will all make sure his light shines on.

Sue Robinson

May 06, 2008 7:10 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Thank you Eric for sharing your memories and feelings about your dear friend John. As a fan, I feel privileged to have seen him on tour five times. I was so looking forward to seeing him in Vegas. My sympathies to you, his family and friends - this is such a hard time and he will be missed so much. Looking forward to seeing what we can do in his honor.

May 06, 2008 9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric,

Well done and well said in your own way! Thank yiucfor sharing your memories of John Alteri. He was so nice and such a sweetheart! Still very hard to fathom that he is not with us anymore. God bless his family and friends with love and strength for one another. John, farewell and take care, we miss you.

May 06, 2008 10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric what you said about John was lovely. I had to choke back the tears myself after reading it. I didn't know him as well as you did or the other touring members of JB that worked with him but he was a kind man. I talked to him a few times in Costa Mesa and was priveledged to see him go on all
12x I saw that show between L.A. and Costa Mesa. I was very excited when I learned that he'd be doing the show in Vegas. I was hoping to see him again in person and on the stage too. I'll never be able to hear him say, "Look, Miss Congeniality. It's a metaphor." This cracked me up everytime. He knew how to deliver his lines as Bob Crewe in order to get a laugh out of the audience. I still can't believe he's gone and that our paths won't cross again on Earth. My heart, thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends at this time of grieving for John. Jeannette

May 06, 2008 2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First time I watched and met him was in February, 2007 when the National Tour was settled into SF for a long engagement. Considering I knew Bob Crewe from his past photos and success with the Four Seasons, I wondered how John would take on such a complex role, but John did it flawlessly and as professionally as a great actor can only do.

He was very cheerful at the various Stage Door meetings, had an energy level that was unlike someone that just performed a 2.5 hr. play and accommodated every autograph and photo op when requested. When he and the National Tour left SF last May, it was nice seeing him back in Sacramento, just up the road from SF and in total, was fortunate to have watched him and the National Tour six times.

I was so eager to see he and Erich reunite with Rick Faugno in Las Vegas and wanted to see his portrayal of Bob Crewe once more, but since he's gone, I know he's still performing as Bob in Heaven and probably hanging out with Mary Delgado "Valli" and Nick Massi, who are probably busting his "balls" right now, but proud that Jersey Boys are going strong!

My deepest sympathies and condolences to the Jersey Boys and Altieri families.

Rest in peace, John.....

May 06, 2008 2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Johnny was one of my favorite people in the world. Always happy and very seldom said anything bad about anyone. I will miss him with all of my heart, for I loved him dearly and always will. Thank you, Eric for honoring him with your heartfelt words. And who gives a damn about cuss words!!!!!!!!!!!! Swear all you want. I will miss him forever and ever....... He would never judge any of us for using bad words! Sincerely EL To John..............I LOVE YOU

May 06, 2008 5:41 PM  
Blogger Amanda Duarte said...

To John's family and friends-

I had the privilege of working with John several years ago, and remained dear friends with him since. John was so truly wonderful and always an inspiration to me- a beacon of positivity, always ready with a smile and that insane laugh, always moving and energized and packing more into a day than I do in a week. John welcomed me as a houseguest so many times, and I was always so moved by the way he really made a home for himself, Spyder and Goose while on the road-even setting up a huge Christmas tree with a choo choo train around it in his artist apartment in San Jose and decorating the rest of the place down to the Santa Claus dish towels. It speaks to his expansive charm, charisma and genuinely loving presence that I was repeatedly drawn to stay with him despite that earthshaking snore!

I was so happy that John had won the job with Jersey Boys and was able to share his beautiful talent with so many people, and enjoy some financial freedom at long last, and that our schedules overlapped in SF and NY and we were able to spend lots of time together in the last couple of years.

I have had some amazing and unforgettable times with John, I love him dearly and will continue to be inspired by him for the rest of my days. Please accept my deepest condolences and please know that John was truly, truly special and touched more people in this world than most people do in their lifetime. He was taken from us far too early, and I will miss and love him always.

Sincerely,

Amanda Duarte
New York, NY

May 08, 2008 11:32 PM  
Blogger Beach Bum Marcie said...

Eric and Sarah,

My heart goes out to you. I am so sad for your loss and truly touch by this wonderful memory. I just wnat you to know that I am thinking of you and John and just know that he will live forever in your hearts.

Marcie

May 09, 2008 6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After hearing the tragic news and reading the moving tributes I felt the need to put pen to paper.

1988.
We met in London. We shared an English summer together. The summer was too short but the memories last forever.
We didn’t stay in touch long. I was 20, John 19. Both starting out in life with the insouciance of youth. Different countries. Different continents.
But I still have his postcard from Saint Martin and the dancing flower he sent me for my birthday.

Last week after all these years I decided to look up John’s name on Google. What urged me to do it? I don’t know. And why now? Cruel fate perhaps. Who knows.
The sudden thrill at seeing his name and having succeeded in finding his trace. Followed by the immediate wave of cold shock on reading the content of the articles on the net.
So why do I feel so empty and sad. After all, our paths crossed nearly 20 years ago and I know nothing of his life since. I guess what I’m trying to say so clumsily is that John was a special person who brought light into the lives of all those he met. He will always be a fundamental part of my life story and for that I thank him.

“Say not in grief he is no more,
But in joyfulness, he was.”

My heart-felt condolences go to all his family and friends.

May 16, 2008 2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home